As part of trying to be healthier and losing weight, we are starting our soup-and-salad-for-dinner diet. Note I’m not saying the menu is fat/meat/carb free, but it’s definitely healthier than our usual rice or potato loaded dinners. If there is oil I try to make it olive oil, and if there is meat, I try to make it leaner pieces and grilled with a brush of olive oil.
- Fresh apple juice
- The Real Mushroom Soup by Jamie Oliver
- Salad with Mustard & Red Wine Vinegar dressing
FRESH APPLE JUICE
- Core 2 medium apples, split into quarters and chop up into smaller chunks (you can peel them if you prefer to, but I leave the skin on because most of the fiber of an apple is in the skin)
- Place in a tall plastic container and add a few drops of lemon and about a cup or two of water (this depends on how watery you want juice to be)
- Puree till smooth using a hand blender
- Add a little powdered sugar or in my case Tropicana Slims low calorie sweetener to taste and mix
- Serve over ice with a mixer
THE REAL MUSHROOM SOUP by Jamie Oliver
- I used whatever mushrooms I had: dried brown mushrooms, fresh button mushrooms and a lot of shiitake
- I didn’t have fresh thyme so used a half the amount of dried thyme, because the flavor is usually more concentrated when it’s dried
- For the bread, I used plain white bread because I ran out of wheat bread. I placed a small amount of butter-substitute in a pan and toasted each side
- I garnished with cilantro instead of parsley because it has more flavor and it goes really well with mushrooms. I should have shredded them finer though so as to spread the flavor evenly over the bowl of soup.
- Wash and spin lettuce, then shred
- Peel and cut carrots thinly
- Halve cherry tomatoes
- Take the stalks of seedless red grapes
- Toss everything together and serve
- On top I also crushed some grilled sukiyaki. These were brushed with olive oil and grilled until crunchy and the fat is cooked off.
MUSTARD & RED WINE VINEGAR DRESSING
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 level tsp iodized salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* This is a slight variation on Jamie Oliver’s mustard & herb vinegar dressing in “the Naked Chef Takes Off”Read More
Continued from my post yesterday, Healthier breakfast with Jamie Oliver’s Pukkolla.
Last night, I left the mixture covered in milk with grated apple overnight in the refrigerator. According to Jamie Oliver letting it decompose overnight makes the milk smoother.
Before serving this morning, I added a little milk (it’s a bit thick from the fridge), bananas, fresh berries and a little honey to taste.
This is definitely going to be part of our breakfast recipes shortlist. It’s so good! And healthy to boot! Very high in fiber so quite filling. I had a cup worth and I felt full for hours after. I actually ate lunch at almost 1pm because I was still feeling full.
I am slowly converting the hubby to oats. He used to say he only liked oats in his beer, but now that’s no longer true. *wink* AND Jamie Oliver still has perfect scores in my book!
Anyone know where I can get sweeter berries in Jakarta without breaking the bank?Read More