JAKARTA FINDS ✽ Matauang Money Changer
People visiting Jakarta always ask me where to have their money changed. Most malls have money changers and banks so feel free to ask the information desk. However if you want a good rate I can recommend two:
Matauang Money Exchange
- 021 2555 4145
- FX Lifestyle Mall, F2-07, Jl. Jend. Sudirman – Pintu Satu Senayan, Jakarta Pusat 10270
PT. Sejahtera Valasindo Abadi
- 021 7692364
- Mall Pondok Indah Satu, lantai dasar
- Check the ZEROS when paying Rp100,000 or Rp10,000 (see picture above)
- Do not forget the FIRST item in my Things to know when visiting Indonesia post. Not every dollar is equal here and sometimes they wont even accept your money if it’s old.
- You can negotiate, but only for additinal IDR 10-30 per USD (For example the rate is IDR 9,000 = 1 USD, you can try to nego for IDR 9,010 instead. This really depends on
- How much USD you’re having changed
- The kind of bills you are having changed. There is a higher rate for USD 100 bills versus USD 20.
- And the condition of your USD….Refer to FIRST item in my Things to know when visiting Indonesia post
- Remember be wary of small money changers with too good to be true rates.
- Take your time and count your money well. Do not get confused because money reaches millions here. Don’t take your eyes of your money.
A friend of ours was in Bali with his wife and son. They found a store that had really awesome rates. It wasn’t one of those accredited money changers, but rather a store that was also willing to change money. They decided to take the risk. Only to realize later on that they lost USD 200. Somewhere along while millions of rupiah were being exchanged, two of their 100 dollar bills went missing. But they only realized this later on when it was too late. They were also distracted because they were had to watch their young child and because they were counting so much money. If the rate is too good to be true, then it probably is.
This is why I recommend these reputable money changers. You still have to be careful, but if for example you realized that they gave you the wrong amount, you can go back and complain