TRAVEL DIARIES ✈ My Jakarta Hitlist
For those traveling to Jakarta this is my recommended list of To-Dos. This is of course just based on my limited experience of Jakarta. I am no expert as I have only been living here shy of two years. But I’ve enjoyed my experiences in the following places and I hope you get to check them out and enjoy them too!
- Go antiquing at Jalan Surabaya (Only recommended M-Thurs in the a.m.)
- Shopping at the Gemstone Market at Pasar Rawa Bening (Only recommended M-Thurs in the a.m.) from expensive gems to cheap fakes. They also have beautiful pearls.
- Bargain batik shopping at Tanah Abang (Only recommended M-Thurs in the a.m.)
- Pasalubong shopping (from highest to lowest)
- Chic Mart Kemang
- Alun-alun department store *Don’t forget to watch the dancing fountain and wander around Grand Indonesia mall
- Batik Keris Menteng *I heard this is the biggest. Very nice batik cloth for USD 20
- Keris Dept. Store Lt.4, Jl. HOS Cokroaminoto 87-89, Menteng
- Pasaraya *Very big but not necessarily cheaper and nicer than Alun-alun
- Aksara for interesting books and gift items that are not available in the Phils.
- Visit the MONAS (National Monument)
- Vist the National Museum which is near the MONAS
- Arrange for a group tour of Gedung Dua8 (private museum, by appointment only) *I highly recommend this versus the National Museum
- Check out the old square Fatahillah Square in the morning. Eat brunch at historic Cafe Batavia and visit the Jakarta History Museum (closes at 3pm).
- Kembang Goela (fine Indonesian cuisine)
- Sate Khas Senayan (casual) *Beside Penang Bistro
- Mera Delima (fine Indonesian cuisine)
- Have Javanese coffee and Dutch-influenced desserts at Dapur Babah * If you want you can also check out the first ever dutch ice cream parlor 2 doors down the road from Dapur Babah - BUT it is not air-conditioned, smoking allowed I don’t recommend this on weekends
- Duck King Peking Duck (Grand Indonesia)
- Crystal Jade Xiao Long Bao (Grand Indonesia)
- Social House Brunch (Grand Indonesia)
- Koi Kemang Brunch * Don’t forget to check out furniture on the 2nd floor
- Sekitei Japanese Restaurant for lunch sets
- Darmawangsa Hotel for high tea and scones *According to my food editor friend they have the best scones in Jakarta
- Social House (Grand Indonesia)
- Cork & Screw
- Immigrant *Click here for a review of the food
- Paulaner Brauhaus for 1 Liter beers brewed from their own microbrewery. Slow service but beers are worth it!
- Get a super relaxing cream bath at Johnny Andrean , Grand Indonesia *call for appointment
- Get your feet pampered & amazing reflexology at Kenko Fish Spa Grand Indonesia or Pacific Place *I reco getting a 30min fish spa session together with a 30min back massage which they will do while you’re feet are dipped in the pool. The pain in your foot will magically disappear after this session and your feet/legs will be so soft!
- Taman Safari – according to some of my friends they find this better than the Night Safari in Singapore.
- Visit hundred year old trees at the impressive Bogor Botanical Gardens and eat lunch at Dedaunan Restaurant (reservations needed) Also check out the outlet stores for clothes and bags/luggage.
- Taman Mini – learn about how different tribes in different islands in Indonesia live. Visit the Komodo dragon.
- Bandung – shopping for designer overruns, just check to make sure it’s not a fake as fakes abound.