One of the things that I took from The Happiness Project is to de-clutter or simplify my home. Part of that is to get rid of the stuff that I don’t use and just keep in storage, thereby wasting physical and mental space. There are many ways to do this, I can either sell, donate or dispose. One of the other more creative ways I learned is to display items that have emotional significance, instead of keeping them wrapped up.
The sample pegs Danni gave me when I told him what I wanted
TD is surprisingly sentimental with certain items and he had a box of items that we went through. They were only a few items…
- A grade school plaque – which we stashed with all the other plaques at the in-laws
- Luke Skywalker toy – which he has decided to let go off
- Basketball Medal -
- Spanish Civil War bombshell from his grandfather
- Egg made of Russian Ruble from his mom, when they were living in Russia
This is how it looks with some books. I can’t wait to find a spot for it in TD’s office!
I absolutely love the idea of bespoke solid teak bookends for keepsakes. So many advantages:
- Frees up storage space
- You get something useful – I can never have enough bookends!
- Beautiful, personalized bookends aren’t just beautiful but have greater value because they hold something with sentimental value
- Brilliant storage & display idea. Not only are your storing and displaying keepsakes but you are also giving it another purpose.
I have a great idea for the medal, but I’m still trying to see how to pull it off. It’s going to be another bookend, but I want to have it enclosed with glass so that I don’t have to think of cleaning or dusting the straps. The bomb and egg above are not as bad dust-magnets and are pretty easy to clean. Will keep you posted once the medal is up.
What did you think of this idea? Do you have other useful store-and-display ideas that you have tried (or want to try) in your home? I would love to hear about it!
KEEP IN TOUCH WITH ME ON
- Mobile: +62 818 863326
- Email: email@example.com
- Showroom: Jalan Ir. H. Juanda no 86, Situgintung, Ciputat 15419, Tangerang, Indonesia
- Check out other furniture Danni made for me here!